Tuesday, August 7, 2007

New Bike Build

So my new Heckler finally arrived last week. It took 14 weeks to get here. I am gathering parts bit by bit:

Frame: 2007 Santa Cruz Heckler size M, Fox DHX 5.0 rear shock
Fr. Derailleur: Shimano Deore
Shifters: Mismatch set found at the shop new LX and Deore
Rear Cassette: Sram
Brakes: Hayes HFX 9 hydraulics salvaged from my roommates bike
Cranks: Shimano XT 751 also salvaged
Tires: Maxxis ADvantage 2.4. Found one on craigslist for 12 bucks, ridden once! Looks like one of the lightest, highest volume tires there is.
Pedals: Shimano PDM424. pulled from my old bike. I love these pedals, have used them for years. No issues ever.
Headset: Cane Creek. shop recommended. cheaper than king, but pretty solid.
Fork: 07 Marzocchi All Mountain 1. Coil spring, lockout, 20 mm axle, 6.3 inches travel. Should be really good. especially after riding a 2001 Z1 with 4 inches for the past 6 years.
Seat: I am thinking I use my haggard WTB seat from my current bike, just because I am used to it. And get a new one for the old bike.

I went coil on the shocks because I weigh in around 195 and like to rally on the downhills. Also I like the low maintenance with coils. Don't care much about weight: I weigh a lot, and so does my bike. But neither me or my bike break very often. It's all about the sturdy build!

If I am lucky and my parts come soon I may be riding this weekend. I hope so.

No comments: