Friday, December 7, 2012

Higher Ups


This picture is from just below Pine Creek Lake in the Absaroka Mountains just south of Livingston. It is an awesome stout little hike, with about 3000ft of elevation gain in 5 or so miles. This was maybe 2 months ago now when it just started snowing up high. The lake elevation is near 9000 ft I believe and the peaks surrounding are taller. I wasn't planning on going all the way up but all of sudden I was past halfway there and just decided to go for it. Much of the drainage you hike through was burned over this summer by the Pine Creek fire and there are large areas that are burned down to the ground with only blackened tree trunks left standing. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pine Creek Lake is one of my most favorite hikes in this area. I've been may times, and each time gets better than the last.