Saturday, March 6, 2010

Acerbis Gas Tank Repair

This is the situation. Two brass in-molded inserts ripped totally out of a 6 gallon Acerbis Xr600R gas tank. This happened in a stupid fall on a double track where my wheels found themselves in different ruts. I lowsided and the bike slid about 15 feet on it's side. I am not sure, but I think the handlebars pushed into the front lobe and leveraged it away and ripped the inserts out.




Step One

Order G/Flex epoxy from Hamilton Marine from near home in Maine

Step Two

Take down tank from where it's been hanging in the garage since last fall when I fell down on the XR600R and the inserts ripped completely out of the plastic tank on one side.

Step Three

With a knife, carefully cut off the in-molded ridge around the insert hole that previously held insert in place.

Step Four

Thread a 2" long bolt into the insert for a handle. With pliers, try and dry-fit the insert back into the hole to see if you removed enough material.


Step Five

When Step Four is a failure, repeat Step Three and Four about twenty times until the insert finally goes in.

Step Six

Clean out inside of insert holes with q-tips and rubbing alcohol.

Step Seven

Sand the brass inserts with 240 grit sandpaper

Step Eight

Mix up G/Flex epoxy in a little plastic cup

Step Nine

Using an old knife from the surplus silverware box in the basement, scoop the epoxy into the first hole, filling about half full.

Step Ten

Using pliers, grab the bolt with the insert on the end and press the insert into the epoxy-filled hole. Watch the epoxy spooge out around the sides. Wipe away excess with paper towel.

Step Eleven

Repeat Nine and Ten for second hole.

Step Twelve

Set tank in a position so that the inserts are flat and upright and allow to cure for a few hours.

Summary: I have been waiting to do this procedure for around 6 months. Finally ordered the epoxy last week. I wasn't about to spend 250 bucks on a new tank, so this had to work. I think it did, but I won't know till I swap the big tank back on to the bike.

1 comment:

HyunChard said...

Hullo! I’m in a hurry today. I just want to throw a remark on this blog. I’ve found your site to be a great source

for my coming test. I have also subscribed to your feed, and I plan to come back in the weekend to see more.
Interesting post. I'm interested to keep up with your blog and see what other fascinating information you post about.
There's only one method about tank maintenance that I knew in tank waterproofing and I forgot what it is. How annoying.