Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pre Season Maintenance


So what we have here is a bike in the middle of rear shock removal. This past weekend I finally began work on the bikes. The XR600R here needs a rear shock spring of the correct spring rate for my weight so off came the wheel, the muffler, the airbox, and soon the rear linkage. Up here in the high country, a few 45 degree days do a lot for the melting of snow in the yard and for the itch to ride motorcycles. I invited fellow MTDS author Alex over for this inaugural event, and we had a few PBRs, changed a tire, and got the XR to the state above. Being a noob motorcycle mechanic, I am proceeding slowly and carefully every time I do something I have never done before, which is just about anything beyond an oil change.

I have an extensive list of items to take care of on the XR including:
rear tire change - done
rear shock spring change - 1/2 done
oil change
rear linkage check and lube
valve check and adjust
fork spring replacement
super duper general clean and inspect and lube
tighten steering head assembly. I installed new bearings last year and they loosened up quite a bit right away.
replace choke plate in the carb with solid plate


In addition to the XR I have the SV and the KLR to check over, and the Ninja 250 to get running for the lady...she wants to learn to ride, so I better get to it...

No comments: