Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pipestone: First Dirt, 2010

Sunday morning came for me at 10:00am, foggy from the previous nights festivities, with a phone call. Its Lincoln.
"Want to go do some moto today?".
I ran through the checklist of things to do, and realized that a possible moto ride trumped the IRS, work, and a chance for clean clothes. But what about his moto? Last time I saw it, it had some very important parts laying on his workbench.

"Yea! ... But isn't your bike in pieces?".
"Nope, I put it all back together".

I realized then that he'd been up since the wee hours of the morning, wrenching on his bike to ride. He had already eaten, showered, and done something productive with his day. I hadn't even made coffee yet.

In the time it took me to drink a pot of coffee, I managed to wrangle up all my gear packed away from the long winter, and do some quick checks on the moto to make sure that nothing was going to explode. As if on cue, as soon as I had the truck loaded up, Lincoln pulled in. Motos on truck, people in truck, truck on the road. Arriving at Pipestone, it was pretty busy. Quads and bikes loitered around the parking lot, and we got a pretty impressive wheelie show while putting on all our gear. Bikes warmed up and ready to ride, we hit the trails.

A good majority of the section is closed off this time of the year, due to the snow still melting. The south facing, more open and fast section was open, and I was suprised at how dry it was. Once we moved into the foothills, things got a little soggy in places. On a few trails we simply turned around. Mud is one thing, but adding snow and ice is the slippery-condition trifecta.

We explored some new trails in the area that we previously just roosted right past. I've learned now to trust Lincoln's gut on trails that look challenging. I'm usually game for anything, but I end up with lots of stories that are funny in hindsight, but usually suck pretty bad in the moment. Lincoln has an uncanny ability to detect right at the start if things are going to go pear-shaped.

One of the new trails we rode, took us up to the top of a hill, with a spectacular view, and we had to stop for a photo op.


This was easily the earliest off-road riding I've ever done of any motorcycle season. The trails we're in great shape, and the weather was spectacular. 58 degrees! The ride was an absolute success. No mechanical break downs, no crashes, and no flat tires. 2010 is shaping up to be a pretty good year already!

No comments: