Sunday, March 2, 2008

Dogde the Snow Cloud

Today's Road Ride:

Time: 45 min.
Distance: 11.3 miles
Temp: 37
Wind: 10mph

Had to cut today short due to being surrounded by snow clouds in all directions. I was going to drive west of town to ride where it is usually warmer but after I got in the car and started driving I could see it was snowing out there. At my house it was an island of sun, so I came back and rode out from the house. The Gallatin Range to the south was topped with clouds dropping snow and the same with the Bridgers to the north. So I could see a wall of snow creeping out of Gallatin Canyon and I knew my ride may need to get cut short. And it did. I got about 35 minutes out and could see the weather closing in. I got caught in the fall in a total blizzard and do not want to repeat that so I turned around and headed back.
I have been riding on these roads lately that got chip sealed late in the fall and they are extremely rough. I didn't realize how rough until I rode out Stuckey today and it was chip seal halfway, and then turned to good smooth normal pavement, and I started to go WAY faster. It was a big difference.

No comments: